Wednesday, July 8, 2020

THEME - Part One: The Awakening

For their first deep-dive into storytelling, the PENCILTOWN crew tackle the subject of THEME. They spend some time chasing its elusive definition in an attempt to determine what theme is and isn't. They debate whether or not it is important for every creator to have a theme when starting their project and when it should be integrated into the process.

The conversation ended up running long enough that we decided to split it into two different episodes, the second of which will explore how we can use theme to structure our story.

Penciltown Spotlight:


Jason - THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE - streaming on AMAZON PRIME


Other Creators Mentioned:



Contributor Socials:

Nick Johnson
twitter/instagram: @illustratednick
website: nickj.ca
process blog: nicksoup.com

Jason Mehmel
twitter/instagram: @typewriterjason
website: jasonmehemel.com

Sho Uehara
website: shouehara.com
twitter: @ShoKeepsDrawing
instagram: @shouehara

For comments and episode suggestions, you can contact the pod on twitter: @penciltownpod - or via email: thepenciltownpodcast@gmail.com.

Music and editing for the podcast provided by Nick Johnson.

1 comment:

  1. Listening to the podcast this morning. BIG questions presented here and I have an opinion about this because I think that part of the job of the storyteller is to be a teacher. This can be the case even if all the storyteller is doing is presenting the question. I don't think that the author has the responsibility to even give a tidy worldview in answering those questions, but just bringing awareness to the question. The starting question could be the theme?
    I want to be entertained but I also want to be improved by reading a story. If I am only entertained, then I feel it was a waste of my time. I want to GROK what's going on and the ideas being presented. My mind is going to look for something to grok even if there's nothing there. I think we talk so much about us as the writer without actually considering the audience. Maybe that's another topic for another podcast on this theme of theme...
    But I have to say, I start with a theme, but I don't keep myself beholden to that theme. I let the story take on its own message and hopefully the message is ambiguous enough that the reader can come to their own conclusions.

    I want to recommend 2 books whose themes are strong and where story may not be as strong, theme maybe makes up for it. Dear Scarlett by Teresa Wong (Calgarian) and Entropy by Aaron Costain (Victoria BC). I won't say too much, but I think these books will give a strong message on theme.

    Even if you attempt to avoid theme completely, it's still going to find its way in to the story and it comes from the concept of culture. I don't think Canadian authors set out to meet with themes of sexuality, survival or multiculturalism, but these themes are almost always present by virtue of where a person finds themselves. Or maybe that's me projecting? But isn't that the experience of the reader and the experience of empathy?

    Great thoughts gents!

    ReplyDelete